29 April 2010

La Musica

For those of you who know me REALLY well, I am sure you know how much I love to BELT things out, to sing along with music, to sing in general and to overly exaggerate singers who have distinctive voices. I am thrilled to say that I am finally pursuing my passion for music here in Argentina.

It started off when I became roommates with Leigh. I was sitting at the Road house 3.5 months ago, it was my first day in Argentina and I was exhausted and nervous. She walked up the winding staircase as I was awkwardly trying to make friends with the vets in the common room. I had emailed with Leigh briefly before we flew to S. America and we had already become facebook friends so I recognized her right away. She was a tall, pretty blond girl with a sort of authentic, "chill" demeanor to her. Even though I didn't know her I felt 100 times better when she walked into the Road house, I felt as though a friend from home finally arrived and that we had the whole of Buenos Aires to experience together. As she stepped into the common room with her half smile and nervous laugh I saw that she was holding a guitar case in addition to her two under-stuffed suitcases (very opposite than my approach to packing).

Leigh!!!!


She and I became instant friends that first day. It was fate that we were roommates, I could not have found a more perfect person to live with. We talked about our backgrounds, where we were from, our families(how close we are to them and how young and fun our parents are) we also toured the entire city of Buenos Aires together. We were exhausted that first day after doing every possible thing we could. It was that evening that Leigh broke it to me that she suffers from a mild form of insomnia...I couldn't understand how anyone could have a hard time sleeping(I sleep like a baby, all the time), but I told her "oh, that sucks". Well, it's been three months since meeting Leigh and being with her everyday and night that I too suffer from the same miserable issue. Maybe "insomnia" is contagious, maybe it's not, all I know is that before moving to Argentina, I slept wonderfully and now having been here for a few months I DO NOT SLEEP EVER. This city is nonstop. Leigh, I don't REALLY blame you for this.

Moving on...that first night most everyone at the road house was asleep(VERY RARE) and I heard music in the common room. I creeped down the long dark hallway to find Leigh beautifully playing the guitar and singing with the voice of an angel. I was so excited to hear the live music so I went over to her, started asking her questions about how long she had been playing, how she writes her own music, sings all the time, etc etc etc. I was completely enthralled with her talents and music interests that I couldn't help but become obsessed with it. After a few minutes of watching her play(so naturally) I started singing along with her to a few of the songs she was playing. Now, again, for those of you who know me well, this is a HUGE DEAL FOR ME. I do NOT like to sing in front of people, I never have cause I have a huge shy issue. For some reason my mindset was "I am in Argentina, why the hell not?!". I did not feel nervous with Leigh in the slightest because she was so comfortable at singing and playing and did not judge me in anyway. If anything she just kept telling me how great I was doing, how it's so easy to write songs that even I could do it. She gave me confidence and encouragement to pursue my passion and I think that is all I really needed..

Me and Leigh!


That night was one I won't soon forget. It was the first time I actually sang in front of someone, the first time I realized how badly I wanted to play the guitar and how serious I was about starting a music career in some form or another whether here in Argentina, or back in the US in Nashville (home of the greatest country stars!). Living with Leigh for that first month in VERY close quarters at the Road house was meant to be. I think she was brought into my life to help me pursue my musical passions. It is amazing having her as a friend and roommate; I love watching her play and truly enjoy listening to her sing. Leigh is so chill about everything, she makes singing in front of people and playing the guitar seem so fun and un-intimidating.

The next set of events are strange, they happened fast and they were a little bit impulsive, but then again, that's how I live my life. The most meaningful and wonderful things that I have done in my life have always been impulsive. Anyways, after finishing our first month in the Road house, getting TEFL certified, making many incredible friends, traveling to Uruguay, being homeless, jobless, crying, laughing, touring Buenos Aires, and listening to Leigh play the guitar we finally moved into an awesome apartment. One night we were sitting on the couch, Leigh was playing and I asked her to teach me. She taught me the simple basics and told me it was normal that my fingers hurt for the first few weeks. We played for about an hour. I was VERY rusty, stiff and completely horrible at playing,but Leigh gave me confidence the whole time. She reminded me that practice makes perfect and that it takes YEARS to get completely comfortable and to be able to freestyle. The feeling I had that night sitting there, playing(what I could) and singing along was a defining moment in my life. I couldn't help but wonder why the hell it had taken me THIS LONG to get started with music like this. It was SUCH a release for me. Some people like to go running, others like to paint, draw, write or drive, well I definitely think I found my release and it's the guitar and singing. I just wish it didn't have to take SUCH practice to be good and that I could just BUST out an amazing country song after a few weeks....I can dream can't I?

The next three weeks consisted of me playing the guitar nonstop every morning for about three hours. I didn't have a job, I had toured the entire city numerous times, read books, written in my journal, uploaded facebook pictures, etc etc etc. This new passion was addictive. It was a sloooooow process to even remotely get the strumming down, but I think i have definitely improved in the last month, at least a tad bit. Leigh had told me the night she taught me the basic cords, that "the hardest part about playing the guitar, is actually buying one". Well, to show just how serious I am about this new guitar obsession, I bought my own for about $180 pesos(about 40 dollars) at a gaucho fair just outside the city. I had NO idea what to buy, if it was a good deal, if it sounded good etc, but of course my prodigy roommate was there by my side the day I purchased it and she helped me decide which one to get. (Thanks LEIGH!!!)

New guitar I bought on Easter Sunday:


After practicing here and there, NOT really getting much better, but progressing inch by inch I realized I really need to continue this obsession upon returning to America. SO if there is any one out there reading this and is interested in teaching me more about the guitar...hit me up!

Now, here is where things get juicy! I was sitting in bed one morning, without a job or anything else to do that day. I was skyping with my mom telling her about my obsession for the guitar when I got a text message from my dear Argentine friend, Fer. Fer is the HOOK UP in BA. He works at the clubs and always gets me and my friends on the VIP lists for free etc. He is an awesome person to know, extremely caring, and very generous. He texted me that day and asked me if I sing. I said yes, I love to sing. One thing lead to another and it turns out that his boss is in a rock and roll band that plays Beatles, Creedence Clearwater, Eric Clapton etc. He asked me if I wanted to go rehearse with the band about 45 minutes outside of the city. I agreed because yet again, "I'm in Argentina, why not?" WELL, little did I know how intense this would all be.

I went to the rehearsal last week. I arrived at 8pm and was taken into this basement/warehouse-( home of Fer's boss, Jorge). Fer, Tash (the adorable English girl from previous posts) and I walked into the room where 6 Argentine men around the ages of 50 were ROCKING OUT with two guitars, electric guitar, bass, drums, keyboard etc. They had a legit set up and were amazing!! I couldn't believe how serious this rehearsal was and wasn't sure what the hell I was getting myself into especially after the fact I had NEVER performed or even used a microphone before. Turco, the adorable man who sang and played the guitar invited me onto the stage right off the bat. I greeted him with a standard Argentine cheek kiss, smiled nervously and stood up to the mic.

Me and Turco:


Me singing:




Fer Montes!


Although I was beyond nervous, shaking actually, I held it together and just did what I knew to do...BELTED it out, confidently! I sang for three hours nonstop and just fell in love with everything. We sang TONS of Beatles, and other rock music and by the end of the night it felt like I was just up there doing karaoke. After conversing with the band in what little Castellano(Argentine Spanish) I know, the men in the band (La San Francisco) asked me to come back next week to practice again and then to sing four songs in their concert on Friday night at the local bar; Il Fango. I obviously agreed and am now anxiously awaiting tomorrow nights CONCERT! I have invited all my friends in this city to come and I expect the night to be an amazing time. Of course I am terrified seeing as I have only ever performed in front of people twice (not counting my private session with Leigh) but I have nothing to worry about. I will be singing The Beatles: "Get Back", "Oh! darling", "Come Together" and Creedence Clearwater, "Proud Mary". If I forget the words, no one will notice considering most of the people who will be there...won't even know English, THANK GOD!

Wish me luck..more to come after my debut!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Holy moly, tri! This is phenomenal! Good luck!!

    xox,
    Little Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO GETTUM PIPES!!!! xoxoxox Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA...that leigh girl looks like a nut...i hope her nuttyness does not rub off on you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like this one better...thanks for saying such nice things about me <3<3

    ReplyDelete