30 April 2010

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Today was one of those days, when everything was in slow motion. People were walking EXTRA slow on the way to work JUST to piss me off, I hit every single red light, every gross old Argentine man made annoying cat calls at me while I shuffled through the crowds in my high-heeled cowboy boots(completely uncomfortable) while trying to pull my skirt down(kept hiking up). My arms were killing me from holding 800 books I needed to teach my classes and I was slugging around a jar of Argentina's version of peanut butter because I wanted my students to try it. They need to comprehend how important it is to the US; I repeatedly tell my students peanut butter to the US is Dulce De Leche(a gooey, sweet caramel type spread that they eat on EVERYTHING)to Argentina.They understood after trying it today :)

Anyways, my first class was at 8am, that means I woke up at 6:30 to get ready(didn't fall asleep til 1:30 last night either), and then had to walk the 10,000 miles to work because I still can't figure out the bus system. Of course I was late, and frazzled when I got to class, but it went great and my students are darling...esp the one who is my age and is the most attractive man in the world. It's even cuter that he can barely speak English...you should hear him(and the others) say "vegetable", it's to die for. It's okay that I make fun of them cause they laugh at me when I say "copado"(cool). They think it's hilarrrrrrrrious! After class I had an hour to spare so I went to the mall to buy a different skirt that fit more appropriately, I was SO sick of the comments I was getting from every Argentine man. Sometimes it can be flattering, but other times SO aggravating. Regardless, I finally found a skirt! Then I got a phone call from a company telling me I was late for my interview so I booked it 12 blocks, in my heels, carrying all my books and the savory peanut butter of course. The interview went well, blah blah blah, got another teaching job on the other side of the city that pays nothing, but I am not complaining, my hours are finally picking up. I think I have 12 now? Life is a little different here to say the least.

Now to the "FRIENDS" part:

The friends that are a huge part of this story:


After walking for about 4 hours straight between meetings, class, the mall, lunch, etc etc etc, I finally got home and was beyond exhausted (mind you tonight is my performance and I want to be on top of my game). I got home and was feeling homesick, tired, VERY nervous about the night and just "blah". Leigh was so sweet and tried to calm me down by offering to play her guitar and let me sing along to practice my songs for tonight. She is a doll. She handed me a sheet of paper and said that there was a package for me at the Retiro package center. Now, for those of you who have lived in Buenos Aires, I am sure you know the HORRIBLE process of getting packages. I was aware of this as well, but beyond curious to see who the package was from. After sitting for two seconds, I yet again jumped up and walked to the address on the sheet. After stopping three times at three different places to get directions that I didn't understand in Spanish I finally made it to the disgusting, hot and piece of crap mail center. There were flies all over, a million people sitting around in the waiting room and loud noises on the loud speaker. I got a number and waited my turn.

It took forever to be called, I walked up to the counter, realized I didn't have my passport, but the nice man said something sweet in Spanish and then "el proximo vez"(next time). I thanked him, smiled and followed the others into a waiting room. I had no idea that this time I had to wait an HOUR in the hot room with 100 other people, babies crying, flies and Spanish numbers being read over the loud speaker. My ticket number to receive my package was something like "6731541", well I had NO idea how to read that in English, let alone Spanish. That's a huge number! Somehow I managed to ask the nice teenager with a pierced eyebrow and combat boots to help me know when my number was up. He nodded and checked my ticket every ten minutes as the loud speaker read off the numbers. Finally after a minor panic attack, dying of thirst and exhaustion...he tapped me and said "YOU" in the cutest accent. I smiled and went into the third line to receive this mysterious package. The whole time I kept thinking, this BETTER be worth it. If it's some stupid article or document, or bad candy I will be pissed.

To my surprise it was a care package from my 7 housemates from college.






Beth, Me, Christy, Noelle



Dani(the all-knowing, selfless, beautiful Italian girl from Ohio)

Beth(the hilarious, feisty lil bull-dog who had the most rambunctious stories and fun personality)

Sarah(the incredibly smart, tall blond who worked her butt off, but partied just as hard, and had great advice on relationships)

Noelle(the precious small-town Ohio girl, with a million siblings and the cutest laugh in the world who always made sure people were comfortable and happy)

Christy(Another precious small town girl, who introduced cowboy boots to me, cooking, and was my friend who saw the world in a little bit more of a "hippy" way)

Megan(the classic, dark hair and eyed girl who had witty jokes and was always so lady-like)

and finally Emily(one of the coolest girls I've ever met. Someone who has lots of life experience and makes friends with any one and everyone when she enters the room. Her ghetto taste in music and her "chill demeanor" make me LOVE Emily).

Megan Sarah, Emily

So there you have it, my seven FABULOUS housemates that I miss dearly.

Beth, Noelle, Megan Christy:



I couldn't WAIT to get home to open my package, so on my three hour walk back to my apartment, I stopped in a park, sat on a bench , the sun and tore it open. Inside I found SO much candy, PEANUT BUTTER, magazines, AMERICAN GUM, all my favorite college snacks and a letter from each one of my housemates. Of course, tears were coming down my cheeks as I read through their extremely thoughtful letters and as I looked through the box at all the goodies they had thoughtfully stuffed in there. My day is now completely turned around due to my amazing friends. I am even MORE ready and excited for my performance tonight and know that all those I love dearly at home, will be with me in spirit.

I am so blessed for all the amazing people in my life.

P.S. I took the package of Oreos to the FACE on my walk back home...("Last Resort: girls, you woulda been proud ;) )

5 comments:

  1. AWWW girl, we miss you!!!! So glad you are having the time of your life over there!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina... That was so beautiful. I love you and miss you and SO enjoy reading about your fabulous life!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go sing your heart out tonight, wish we could be there to support! Glad the package finally arrived, we were worried it got lost! Apparently the mailman had a different idea in mind as to when it should arrive :) Noww do you understand why we wanted your address.. and we didn't even bother you with BOOP haha

    OREOS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it arrived a little later than planned...it sounds like in many ways it got there right on time!!! I loved your post and loved how you incorporated pictures with it too! I miss everyone so much and am so excited to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soo glad you got it Trina! I love your blog - and love hearing all about your adventures. I'm glad we could bring a little of the states back to you. You are truly an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete