19 May 2010

A new chapter in my Argie book!

My gals: Jessica, Tash, me, Meg and Leigh


It has been busy here as always, but I'm FINALLY on a more normal schedule. My job is consistent, my Spanish classes are consistent and things seem to be falling into place(four months into my trip haha). I had the most amazing feeling the other day; I had taken five hours of Spanish class in the morning, met up with an Argentine friend and only spoke with him in Spanish for a few hours, then met my new host family and only spoke with them in Spanish for two hours. That night I went to bed THINKING in Spanish. The next morning I awoke with the rising sun realizing I had dreamt in Castellano!! I went to class the next day and told my teacher. She asked me how long I have been in BA, I told her about 4.5 months and she nodded! I asked her what that was for, she continued to tell me that it's usually around a persons 4th month in a foreign country that they begin to dream in in that language and after that initial dream, it's an easier road speaking the language. That pumped me up for sure!

Other than focusing on improving my Castellano, I have been out with my friends a lot, traveled with my family to Mendoza and have just found a new place to live. Yes, I will be sad to leave 1463 Posadas, but I am thrilled to live with a host family. Luckily I will STILL live with Leigh (in the same room of course). This will be our fifth month living in the same room together, we're both shocked that we aren't sick of each other yet. I will be living in the same neighborhood, Recoleta, as I have been living in for the past 4 months. My host family consists of Paty, Roberto and their 40 year old son (don't know his name yet) and a guy from New Orleans. Should be interesting dinner conversations...

I think moving in with a host family is something I should have done my second month in this country because it is the best language practice, but it's pointless to look back. Besides, I have had an AMAZING time living at 1463 Posadas. We threw many parties, cooked SO many delish dinners, and I even learned to play the guitar in that apartment. But all things eventually come to an end and it's definitally time for a change in my Argentine adventures. It's been a great run living with my English friends, but for my remaining time in Argentina I want to focus on the culture and language and less on partying with English speakers(no offense friends- you know I'll still see you every day).

Me and Tash


Tash in Bariloche!


Speaking of friends, it's hard making friends in another country especially when you only plan on staying for 6 months. Everyone I have met or become close to lives on their own terms and therefore either leaves me behind or I will eventually leave them behind. It's not easy to constantly say goodbye to the people I have grown to love and consider my family abroad. Natasha goes in and out of my life, like the waves of the ocean. With her travels to Brazil and back to BA then to Peru and back to BA and then eventually(in two weeks) home to Europe, she is almost a tease in my life. Every time she leaves, I know she will be back, but this final trip to Europe will be our real last goodbye. It will be absolutely devastating to say goodbye to my new friend who I am shocked has just come into my life. There are not many people as special as Natasha. She is truly an amazing person and will always be a part of my memory and time in Argentina. Guess I will start planning my trip to England soon...

Lord Byron:

Then there is Byron, one of the most interesting people I have come across on this journey. He flew back to the states today. Luckily, Byron permanently lives in NYC. If only Natasha lived in the US as well...
I think Byron spoke my thoughts perfectly when he admitted
that "there is something deeply invigorating about living in this country. I want to take a piece of it with me for the rest of my life. My biggest fear is that I will lose sight of some of the lessons I have learned here"(Byron). Well, Che, all I can say is "Buenos Aires querido será siempre una parte de nosotros". See you in the USofA.

Meg and Leigh- love those cats!


Megan(the newest addition to my life- Natasha's host sister from Kentucky!) will soon be leaving me as well. She has 2.5 more weeks until she goes traveling around S. America and then back to the US. Megan is a fireball. I LOVE PEOPLE LIKE MEGAN. She has so much steam it's invigorating. She keeps me positive, keeps life interesting and always adds a little "spice" to whoever and where ever she is. She is someone I hope to be friends with forever. Soon it will be my turn to leave. I look to Leigh as my rock. She is brave in that she has no return ticket home. Despite saying goodbye to all the people she has met and fallen in love with as well, she will continue her journey of independence in the most magnificent country. God speed Leigh Murray!!!

Leigh Leigh!!!



Well, there ya have what's been on my mind recently, among other things. I love the changes I have gone through here. I can't wait to write my last blog just before I leave home to DC. I hope to incorporate a lot of lessons, changes and thoughts that I have had in my 6 months living in Argentina. Having been here just over 4 months really makes me gain a new respect for the friends back in DC who have moved from other cities on their own to start a new life and career. I am so proud they picked up their life and moved it to DC to start a new one. Sure I did that as well, but mine is temporary and that was ALWAYS in the back of my mind. I am constantly reminded that I will be going back to all the people and places that know me to my core. It's strange. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely proud of myself for doing this. It has been an amazing challenge especially with the language barrier. I am terribly sad to be leaving soon, but I am so happy to go back home to comfort and all that I know.

Will write more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment